Monday, September 15, 2008

It is a BEAUTIFUL day!

After the weekend devastation of hurricane Ike on the Texas coast, I feel guilty that I am sitting on my deck enjoying the cooler Texas temps., nice breeze, and beautiful sunshine. I have immersed myself in the latest, breaking news coming in from the Galveston/Houston area all weekend and just can't bear the burden of watching it any longer. The news and media footage of the area is heartbreaking. To think of all the lives lost, all the homes lost, all the pets lost, all the memories lost..... My heart goes out to all of those people affected by Ike, including those to the north and east of us who are also suffering power outages and damage from the remnants of Ike.

With that being said, the not so sensitive side of me is screaming "YOU KNEW IT WAS COMING AND CHOSE TO STAY!" I do understand that due to circumstances some were unable to leave, but dang! It's not like it wasn't broadcast for a week to get out. I know a Cat 2 hurricane doesn't sound all that bad, but given the history of the recent hurricanes coming in from the Gulf, I would have hightailed it to higher ground. A home you can replace, lives you cannot. Who am I to pass judgement when I myself have never been in that situation?

I am once again glued to the evening news watching victims of Ike sort through what used to be their homes. Here I go again, drowning myself in the devastation. Today I am thankful for the simple things in life...food (whatever it may be tonight), shelter (even though we have "outgrown it"), and water (that smells and tastes like dirt from the blue-green algae, but have been assured that it is safe to drink)...that's all any of us "need".

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Ironic that we fared worse here in OH than some with stronger part of the storm! Winds here between 65 and 78 and you know things here aren't ready for sustained or repeated gusts of that! Towns around us still without power and my cable just came on yesterday. I think last report was three people here killed here by falling trees. Not sure around Columbus, they are worse off than we are. Gma T still doesn't have power either.

Yes, does make you thankful! Glad to know you guys are ok!