2010...
I am so glad to put 2010 behind me and move on to 2011! I'm looking foward to new adventures, unexplored waters, and living life to it's fullest... because you just never know what tomorrow will bring your direction.
Let's recap 2010...
January through March were pretty uneventful as I recall. So uneventful, in fact, that I can't even remember what we did for Spring Break! I had to text Mr. Wonderful and ask him what we did and he said we had a staycation and had visitors from Minnesota and Texas...ahhh, yes, I remember now! This getting old thing is for the birds!
April, Mr. Wonderful notices two lumps on the side of his neck which led to a plethora of tests, biopsies, and scans that were inconclusive. Didn't find out until May 25th (eldest child's 13th bday)that he had a tumor on his tongue that had spread to his lymph nodes. Another month of specialist visits and numerous other tests led to a treatment plan that consisted of 35 consecutive radiation treatments and three rounds of chemotherapy, and having a feeding tube placed.
Amid all the above turmoil and not knowing what the lumps on the lymph nodes were, our 14 year old Malamute, Shanook, took a turn for the worst... accidents in the house, constant barking from pain, and falling down all the time because his back legs and hips could no longer support the weight of his body. We ended up putting him to rest May 13th.
Although there was a lot of turmoil and unknown from April to June, there were also a few good times in there. One being a two night camping trip with The Gang on the 14th and 15th of May. It was meant to be Shanook's last camping trip, however, he didn't make it. We managed to have a good time, considering the circumstances, and made good memories with the family.
As soon as school was out, my Mom came to visit for a week. Hands down, that was the best visit she's ever had! She smiled the whole time, swam with the kids, made a gingerbread house, hiked in the mountains, and I didn't want her to go home. In fact, I offered her a room of her own and to make arrangements to have her clothes and car brought out so she could live with us. I truely believe that she would have done it in a heartbeat if it weren't for her feeling obligated to taking care of her Mom.
July, August, September... Chemo and radiation treatments began June 28th, chemo kicked in and reeked havoc on July 2nd (middle child's bday). Treatments continued daily and took their toll on Mr. Wonderful, physically. And on myself mentally and emotionally. Going through something like that changes one's perspective tremendously and also reduces the number of weeds in the yard! Last chemo comes August 9th, a relief because the end is near...5 more radiation treatments left before the healing process could begin. Chemo kicked in August 12th (my bday), followed by about a solid month of Mr. Wonderful vomiting and spitting and gagging while the inside of his mouth and throat shed the layers of radiated tissue and began to heal and he could once again swallow. If chemo and radiation weren't enough, every night was a battle with the feeding tube "sucking in" causing problems. Mr. Wonderful swallowed his first bite of solid food on Labor Day, prior to that he was still using the feeding tube and eating soups and soft foods, which he said tasted horrible.
October, the feeding tube was removed! What a relief! The day that came out was the first night I had slept all night, in months, without being woke up to help with feeding tube issues. We celebrated little man's bday on Oct. 4th and Mr. Wonderful's 40th with a pirate bash on the 20th. Things were definitely looking up, especially since the results from his PET scan came back cancer-free three months after treatment and his taste buds were slowly coming back.
I also got my test results back from AEPA that I had passed Middle Grades Math for my Math Endorsement.
In celebration of having the feeding tube removed, we spent 3 magical days at Disneyland California and a day at Newport Beach. Both were absolutely amazing! We have about 400 pictures documenting our 4 day adventure!
November rolled around and life was going well, until Sunday the 21st when my whole world was once again turned upside down with the news that my mom had passed away. I guess our bodies are set up to function on autopilot during times like that because the entire trip to OH, making arrangements, the funeral, and nearly the whole month of December are a blurr. Christmas season was very difficult to say the least. I spent a good bit of it grieving my loss, but somehow mangaged to make it good for the kids.
As soon as Christmas dinner had been served and dishes done and family sent on their way, I started to put away all the decorations. Everything was completely put away three days prior to New Year's Eve. I'd had enough of 2010 and wanted to "put it all away" before a new year, a new journey began.
As 2011 begins...
I can take away from 2010 that life is way too short to sit around and dream of the things you'd like to do someday, you have to go do them now. Not only do them, but enjoy them and every moment you have with the people you love because you just never know when your last day is coming.
Wednesday, January 5, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Amen! Love ya girl!!
Post a Comment