Monday, December 8, 2008

Blah Humbug

It is that time of year when "Blah Humbug" strikes me. This is when I feel all sorry for myself that I can't be with my family (mom, dad, brothers) for the holidays. It has been this way since Mr. Wonderful and I moved our family to first the Bluegrass State and then to the Lone Star State.

It really saddens me that my mom has not spent a Christmas with the kids in 10 years and they are getting to the age where they will start not "believing". It also saddens me that I have not spent a Christmas with my family and our traditions of ham and macaroni salad and huge family gatherings with all sorts of fun and games and sharing. Although I am grateful that we live close to Mr. Wonderful's family and get to share the holidays with them and we have our own traditions with our kids, it just isn't the same as being at "home".

My mom has been gracious over the years and sends me reminders of "home" to display during the holidays. Such as the angel tree topper that was on our tree every year for longer than I can remember (looks like it has survived a fire) that she sent me about 5 years ago, and one of the pair of cherubs that hung on her wall for years which now one hangs on my tree and my brother owns the other one.

Although I wish we lived closer, we are close at heart and that is what matters.

No comments: