Monday, December 8, 2008

memories...

OK, sorry about the broken neck to view these pictures. These are the memories from the previous post. The picture below(tilt head to the left) is the angel that sat on our tree as I was growing up. The poor thing looks like it has been through a fire and back, but I still put her on display every Christmas like my mom did for years and hopefully one of my children will want to carry on the tradition once we have passed. I hope!



This cherub is the epitome of the 70s, this is one of a pair of cherubs on red velvet that hung on the living room wall of my mom's house (right beside the silver ship on red velvet that I hope doesn't find it's way to my house anytime soon) up until about 2 years ago when this one arrived, all cozy in bubble wrap and a brown box, on my doorstep right before Christmas.

I have wallowed in my own memories enough, time to share some of Mr. Wonderful's as well. This next picture shows a village that was displayed at his house while he was growing up. There are metal people that were given to his parents from his paternal grandfather and then to us three years ago from his mother. The train was passed down to us this year, again, by his mother. It originally belonged to his paternal grandfather, then his father, and now him. It is a Lionel train from the 50s and has been stored for longer than I've known Mr. Wonderful, which has been at least 13 years. His mom gave it to us a couple of weeks ago, Mr. Wonderful bought new track for it at the hobby shop and had the transformer tested. Believe it or not, it still works, it still makes a chugging sound, and smoke still pours out the top as it goes around the track. The look on Mr. Wonderful's face when the train made it's first lap around the track nearly brought tears to my eyes. Since his dad is gone, it was special to bring back a big part of what he shared with his dad growing up.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Awwww! Love the train! Tree topper has some really rosy cheeks, lol, maybe she's COLD. :-D

Hey, I have a Halloween "ornament" I can send you...a hefty chunk of home...hehehehe.