Monday, December 29, 2008

Unexpected gifts...and Thanks!

This unexpected gift arrived Saturday morning about 9 am. I was reluctantly loading the dishwasher over coffee while Mr. Wonderful was breaking down Christmas boxes for "recycle michael".

When...
from behind me arose such a clatter, I spun my head to see what was the matter...
And what to my wondering eyes should appear? Not a miniature sleigh and 8 tiny reindeer, but my cabinets crashing to the ground. I stood, unable to speak a word, and watched as my cabinets dropped from the ceiling, smashed into the counter, bounced onto the bar stools, toppled head over heels, knocked over our free standing bar, sending shards of glass and wood in all directions.

After the initial shock and assessment of the situation, Mr. Wonderful turns to me and says, "That looks pretty damn good! You know I've always hated those cabinets hanging down there! This sure opens up the space, doesn't it?"

It indeed did open up the space. In fact, we've actually discussed removing that set of cabinets and reworking the kitchen, but couldn't come up with a way to do it without losing half the limited cabinet space I have available. So, we never pursued the idea past a conversation.

Thanks to the "organization gods" blessing me with the opportunity to completely rearrange my remaining cabinets to house the few dishes that survived the crash and to get rid of some way-past-pitching items. It only took the entire day, yesterday, to dump everything from my cabinets and pantry into the middle of the floor, wipe down inside all cabinets, organize, and put away everything I decided was worthy of keeping. Which in turn forced me to clean out the stair closet, that was overflowing with backpacks and coats from the kids dumping them the last day of school. Just in order to put away camping stuff that wasn't properly put away after our last camping adventure.

Most importantly, a special thanks to the angel that called Middle Child to the living room to look at a new toy, just minutes before the cabinets dropped from the ceiling. There were definitely forces of a greater being working in my house that day!

**I'm having trouble uploading pics to show the damage...I'll try to edit later! Be sure to check back to see our blessing!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That's one way to remodel the kitchen!! Jeesh!!