Monday, January 5, 2009

Update...


This mess is what used to be a bar full of glassware (shot glasses, pint glasses, collectibles, etc.) which was the last "domino" in the chain reaction to fall...






And this heap is the cabinet unit that fell from the ceiling, broke my dishes and coffee mugs, crushed the bar stools, and knocked over the freestanding bar, which contained the shot glasses and bar ware in the picture above. On a good note, not a drop of liquor was lost! :-)

**Can you see the hole on the underside of the cabinet (the one facing up)? Believe it or not, that was made when the cabinets dropped from the ceiling and landed on a ceramic cookie jar. The unbelievable part...aside from cabinet dust all over it, the cookie jar was not even scratched!



This is where said cabinets used to hang. Can you believe the proper installation on these were 4 screws, into a stud, per unit? That is 8 screws holding up the main cabinets in this kitchen set up!

We've visited with the insurance company...of course this falls under one of those few things that are "unfortunately not covered" by our policy. Now, had we "accidentally flooded the bathroom directly above these cabinets and caused water damage, then no problem replacing them and walls and ceiling and carpet etc. Bottom line, claim dropped! Next...

Phone call to builder since this house is only 7 years old. Mr. Warranty came out to "check out our situation" which drew the same response we heard from the insurance dude, "WOW! I've never seen THIS before!" "Let me take a few pictures." To which I responded, don't bother unless you need your own, you can have this stack we took right after they fell to document damage.

Don't get me wrong, Mr. Warranty was nice and apologetic about the situation, but "unfortunately, don't think we can help you." Until I played my woe is me card and told him that all of my new dishes I just got for my birthday were broken and my daughter had just been sitting there and that there was china from at least 4 generations in there that was lost, etc etc. To which he replied, "Don't order any cabinets just let, I'll call them on Monday and see if we can get you a new set of cabinets. It's the least we can do to ease the sting of the situation a bit." Fantastic! It's Monday now and we haven't heard from him yet...I'll give him until Wednesday to "get back to me" with his resolution before I have to start naming names and builder bash, but only because it is cold and raining ice on us today!

I guess I spoke too soon. Mr. Wonderful just called to tell me that Mr. Warranty left him a voicemail earlier to inform us that the actual cabinet maker was going to directly contact us by Wednesday and that they want to come out to look at the cabinets and installation after seeing the pictures of the aftermath.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

WHOA!! Insurance doesn't what??? Holy crap!! Well hopefully Mr. Cabinet guy will at least show up with new cabinets even if it was Mr. Builder guy's fault! One can hope anyway. When they get done inspecting yours and houses built like yours, tell them to go to a certain subdivision in GC, SC and inspect those accidents waiting to happen!