Monday, May 25, 2009

12 years and counting...

It is hard to believe that 12 years ago I was in severe pain recovering from the labor and delivery of my first born child. She weighed in at 8 lbs on the nose, had long black hair, blue eyes, all red and wrinkly and fuzzy...just the cutest thing I'd ever seen.

If 36 hours of intense labor and an emergency c-section are any indication of what her adolescent/teen years will bring...Lord have mercy!

This birthday was a transition from girl into young lady as far as gifts. And a huge realization for me that my cute, wrinkly, fuzzy baby is growing up...FAST!

Her main gift was a cell phone, but Mommy's gift to her little girl this year was a hair dryer and accessories, shaving supplies (for when she's ready to try, with permission to shave to the knee), and some subtle make-up. She was excited about the hair dryer and make-up, but blushed at the shaving supplies.

She asked at the beginning of last school year if she could shave, the reply was a simple no, and the topic was never mentioned again. I'm really curious to see how long she waits before she asks me to show her how. The make-up was also given with the instructions of this is the real stuff, not fake stuff to play with, when you are ready, I will show you how to properly apply it. Hopefully, the gifts will motivate her to do something with herself other than let her hair dry in strings and hang in her face and to take care of her skin, because we all know we shouldn't sleep with make-up on our faces so she will get an extra face wash a day...unless she is like her mother and sleep with it on.

All in all, I think she had a good day...she is now watching Mary Poppins with her friend who is sleeping over tonight. No matter how old, no matter how much attitude, no matter the hell that will come through the teen years...she's still one of the three cutest things I've ever seen!

No comments: