It's the little things in life
That mean the most.
Not where you live
What you drive
Or the price tag on your clothes
There's no dollar sign on peace of mind
This I've come to know..
~Zac Brown
Chicken Fried
This is one of my favorite lines from one of my favorite songs. This is how I was raised and nothing like how I currently live my life. Over the years with Mr. Wonderful, I turned into someone I wasn't and became part of a materialistic way of living.
Since his passing, I am starting to rediscover that small town girl who grew up appreciating the meaningful things in life; family, friends, unconditional love. For years, I put aside my own desires to stay near my family and closest friends to maintain peace within my own house hold.
I am now beginning to realize how much I really do miss living a simple life in a small town.
As I look around my house, it is filled with "stuff". Meaningless "stuff". This "stuff" is crammed into every bit of closet and attic space available for storage. I could easily get rid of 90% of it and not think twice about doing so. I am ready to simplify my life and get back to my roots, my family, and small town living. To do so means to uproot my children and self and start over 2000 miles away. I feel with every bit of my heart this is the right thing to do for all of us. My kids have practically grown up not knowing my side of the family. Although not materialistic and "rich", as the kids call Mr. Wonderful's family, they have so much to offer.
My oldest daughter once told me that she wanted to move in with her Meme Hall and go to OU like I did. When I asked her why she wanted to do that, she replied, "Meme's house is homey. It has everything you need and not a lot of stuff you don't. It is simple, Mom." We have done sold the house I grew up in, but I have 7 aunts who have houses very much like Mom's, filled with love, hard work, and meaningful things.
The road to happiness and the little things in life will not be an easy one, but one I am whole heartedly willing to travel. This is a new chapter in the life of the newly rediscovered me. I'm not sure where it leads, but I know it is the right road to be on. And I also know I will not travel it alone, I have two angels traveling with me and the kids.
Sunday, March 18, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ok, I'm just a blubbering idiot by this point... call me Blanche the secretary from Grease.
Post a Comment