Saturday, April 21, 2012

Relay for Life

Today, I had the honor of chaperoning my daughter's Relay for Life team at a local relay. Let me tell you, today has been wonderful!

From the opening lap led by survivors and caregivers with other teams standing around the track cheering them on, to the luminaria ceremony. You just cannot describe the emotion as bagpipes lead survivors around the track followed by all other participants. The track was lined with luminairias in honor/memory of those fighting, lost to, or survived cancer. There were 27 lit in memory of Mr. Wonderful...moving in itself, but to see them all lit...whew!

They also projected all the messages on luminairias on a screen for all to see...it was overwhelming! As we came by his lit bags, the kids and I placed our candles by the bags we donated in his memory.

My candle had burned out a few steps into the first lap, but I place it beside it anyway. The next time around, someone had placed a lit candle in front of it. Very touching gesture from a stranger.

I am wiped out emotionally, mentally and physically, but it has been worth every bit of it to be a part of such a wonderful cause...hopefully the cause will eventually lead to a cure for this terrible disease that does not discriminate when it comes to victims.

It is now 11:42 pm...i just need to get through the next 7.25 hours so I can go home, wash off the 14 layers of sunscreen, sweat, and grime from the day and become one with my bed...

No comments: