Monday, April 28, 2008

Stu Padidiot

Three sick kids, a Dr.'s visit, and $320 later...I need Prozac and a second job!

Child #3: Diagnosis-Allergy induced asthma, needs nebulizer, albuterol, steroid, and antibiotic.
Child #2: Diagnosis-Bacterial infection causing nasty, uncontrollable cough, needs antibiotic and cough medicine w/ codeine.
Child #1: Diagnosis-Beginning stages of bacterial infection....same as #2.

Mom: Diagnosis-Broke!

To add fuel to the fire, hubby is clueless to the severity of the children's conditions. Granted, they are not life threatening conditions, they still don't FEEL GOOD! Have some sympathy, DANG IT! I know if it were him with a sniffle, he would expect the house to cater to his every need! GRRRR!

This story unfolds at the dinner table, something my mom kept as sacred ground as a child. We were not allowed to raise voices or make negative comments of any sort while seated at the table, as it should be and I try to maintain that ideal with my own children. Unfortunately, hubby and I don't always see eye to eye on this. Hence, the events that transpired tonight.

As a parent, one should know that when kids are sick, they don't always eat as well as they should. If they are eating anything at all, that is a good thing. Child #2 is a picky eater as it is and I try very hard not to get on her case about eating because it upsets her. She doesn't like a lot of meat and I serve accordingly and compensate with other proteins and green veggies. The child is still getting a balanced diet regardless of her meat intake. This is not always acceptable to hubby. Tonight being one of those nights.

Obviously, she doesn't feel well. She has managed to eat most of what was on her plate and still working on it when Mr. Eat Everything on Your Plate chimes in with a "You need to get busy on that food." Which set off the alarms in Mamma's head that her baby is under attack at the dinner table! LEAVE HER ALONE, WOULD YOU?! Needless to say that wasn't the only line to be exchanged between the two of us. It was a downhill spiral from there.

As a mother you will defend your children to the very end, regardless...right or wrong. In this case I feel I was right. There is a time and place for everything...I prefer it not to be at MY dinner table! Chew on that for awhile, Stu!

No comments: