Early yesterday morning, a gift was sent to my doorstep. This particular gift wasn't wrapped in a brown box or bubble wrap. This gift was wrapped in a black and white fur coat that strikingly resembled Shanook in his much younger days.
The image of this young Husky/Malamute and Shanook staring at each other, mimicking the other's every move with only 1/2 in of glass separating the two of them was priceless. For reasons unknown to me, I felt obligated to make sure this dog was taken care of and to ensure no harm were to come to him. I started with a fresh bowl of cool water, since he had been running the neighborhood since early morning and it was nearly sunset at that point. He drank and drank and with a grateful wag of his tail, he came to my side, flopped on my feet and loaded me with puppy kisses.
Obviously, this poor this was or is somebody's pet. He's been trained to sit, lay down, and stay. I let him into my backyard and introduced him to Shanook, who was very much wanting to run and jump and play but unable to due to his age. The first encounter was playful as they tried to establish which one would emerge the alpha male. When things got a little heated and the puppy growled as Shanook, I removed him from the yard and kept a watchful eye on his safety the rest of the evening.
When I went to bed that night, my "gift" was scratching at the front door to come in. I opened the door, told him to sit and stay, which he obediently obliged. As I sat in my chair that night, I could see the white on his face peering in the window begging to be let in and loved. To my surprise, he ws still at my doorstep the next morning waiting for the lights to come on and the door to open.
Since I had an early morning and a day full of testing, I left his care in the hands of Mr. Wonderful who informed me that he opened the garage to the dog and gave him fresh water and a bowl of food. He also said the neighborhood association had sent out an email describing the dog and general location. He hasn't seen him since this morning. :( So, that leaves me with a "meant to be" moment. If he returns today or tonight, then this gift was meant to be...if he doesn't, my gift lies in the moments he reminded me of Shanook as a puppy and the smile that put on my face.
Monday, April 6, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Aww poor thing, poor you! wrenches on you heart! did he come back?
He did come back, but was too much of a puppy to keep around Shanook, but we did try. After the second time he pounced on him and bit his lip, it was clear that we couldn't keep him. He did sleep on our doorstep and was still there until Sunday morning when he chased an unsuspecting jogger and his dog up the street. He never came back...:( I still look out the door once in a while in hopes that he will be standing there, but I fear that he is in a local pound...
That sounds like a sweet thing. I hope that you find his owner.
Post a Comment