Sunday, May 11, 2008

Some People...

"You can please some of the people all of the time and all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time."

...and there the story unfolds

What was supposed to be a fun-filled day for kids turned into a personal attack on moi. I am always open to criticism, but this attack was a bit vindictive and unnecessary. To avoid jeopardizing confidentiality, I'll spare the details.

I must say that I was initially put out by the seething email I received, but after a couple of days to pick my chin up off the floor and regain my composure , I have come to this conclusion. There are some people in this world who will NEVER be satisfied with anything, regarless. There are some people in this world who overlook the good in a situation to focus on the negative. There are some people in this world who choose to bend and or break the rules to suit their needs only to point fingers at others to take the spotlight off of their own wrong doing. And there are some people in this world who think they are without fault.

I work with these kinds of people everyday. In fact, I live with one of these people! I have learned in my 11 yrs of living with one of these people is that...When people of this caliper vent, it is for the purpose of being mean and hurtful. Often times, the venting is laced with insults and blame. I have also learned that responding to this nonsense only fuels the fire and in the end, they feel they have essentially "WON".

Over the years, I have grown accustomed to similar outbursts, as in the email. In fact, I could almost picture hubby's finger pointing at me as I read it. I have learned not to take everything said personally, to let people vent if it makes them feel better, and to pray that they can see their own imperfections someday.

On the flip side of the coin, there are more people in this world who are thankful and appreciative of your efforts than the ones defined as "some people" above. When the day is done, I am far from perfect, I know this, I am not afraid to admit it, and I can handle criticism. In fact, I welcome any criticism that is going to help me improve who I am and what I do. In every situation, there is always room for improvement, I have taken notes on this one and will take steps to improve upon my skills in the future. I hope "some people" can take the same steps in their own lives and think about the impact that insults and vindictiveness have on others. Kids learn by example, think about that...Would you want your child behaving in this manner? Would you want your child treated like this by others? In fact, would you want to be treated like this?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm posting this after reading a few of your other posts...first let me say I think you're friggn' hilarious (I know I didn't spell that right) and second...this "person" you talk about raised me...I TOTALLY got you on that one...