Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Pigs in a Blanket...Swine Not?

Following a dinner of pigs in a blanket, tater tots, mac and cheese, and applesauce, I cracked open the cover of my latest Jimmy Buffett novel, Swine Not? I was quite excited to start reading this book with all the email promotions from Borders, and especially after reading Where is Joe Merchant and A Salty Piece of Land, both of which were full of adventure, romance, and complex story lines that kept me drawn into the lives of the characters. (yes, I know that was a terribly structured, run-on sentence, but anywhooo...)

I started reading last night only to find that the book is written on about a 5th-6th grade level, quite out of context for this Buffett fan. I guess he did have his disclaimer at the beginning of the book along with the inspiration for the story, but he's Jimmy Buffett and I was expecting a Jimmy Buffett style book, damnit!

I read the first quarter of the book last night. Continued reading while I had the oil changed in Brutus this morning, but only because I wanted to see if the story got any better. I finished it while watching Days this afternoon. Hey, I already had all that time invested in reading the first 7/8ths of the book, no need to leave it as an unfinished task. I already have too many of those and besides, I wanted to see if the Pigilantes came through for Rumpy!

Anyway, I can't chalk it off as a total waste. It was a really cute story and one that is suitable to share with kids, even if you have to read it to the younger ones. I know my little Parrotheads would love it if I read it to them. In true Buffett style, he did keep me coming back to see what happened next. Yeah, I would recommend it, but know that it is way out of context!

Other books I have read since June...

14 Things Great Teachers do Differently
Gifts From the Sea (I highly recommend this to all ladies, especially mothers...also a great gift!)
A Pirate Looks at 50 (JB's 50th b-day...good read, insightful into his life...seriously jealous..."Feliz Annus", rofl)
Where is Joe Merchant (loved it)
A Salty Piece of Land (stirred my nomadic soul, I wanna move to the beach now)
No one Writes to the Colonel (not sure how this one won the Nobel Prize)
The Old Man and the Sea (a true testament to perseverance)
Swine Not?

No comments: