Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Sweet sentiments....

Since I'm on a roll with childhood memories, here's another one I would like to share. Summertime in Ohio meant that we were up and running with friends at the crack of dawn. We were fortunate enough to have "woods" behind our house where the neighborhood kids and I spent many a day playing and discovering the outdoors. Might be a big part of where my love for nature began. Only rule, we had to check in on occasion and be home by dinner. A far different world than what I'm raising my kids in...I don't trust others enough to let my kids ride their bikes around the block, let alone be gone all day.

Anyway...The edges of the wooded area behind the house was full of blackberry bushes and honeysuckle. I recall many a day my brother and I would head out with bowls in hands to bring in the days harvest only to be told that it wasn't enough for a pie. Darn the luck, slap them on some icecream then and call it a day. Once in a while, Mom would make a pie out of them. Just not as often as we would have liked. Oh yeah, forgot to mention eating the honeysuckle while picking berries(against Mom's request to not eat the honeysuckle, we didn't know what had been on it)...oh the joys of childhood!

No comments: