I started a "tattle jar" for my little darlin's a couple of weeks ago. It has been quite the miracle tool around here and my sanity is still hanging on by a thread!
The "tattle jar" itself came about last year when I taught 4th grade. After the first couple of weeks, I quickly realized that at that age EVERYTHING is a big deal and I apparently NEEDED to know about it. I had to put on my creative thinking cap or pull out my hair...and I eventually came up with a "tattle jar". (I'm sure I have read about this or something similar in my adventures, but the when and where have escaped me over the years.)
This is how it works...I provide "tattle jar", paper squares, and writing utensil. You write your "tattles" on the paper and date it. You can sign it if you want, but signing is not required. (I could easily recognize handwriting, but they didn't know that!) "Tattles" get read on Friday at 4pm. (Yes, school was already dismissed! Genius, I know! ) I also gave the guideline that if someone was hurt or in danger or if it was something really serious or borderlining serious, I needed to know immediately. Not to hesitate to tell me anything they felt needed my attention right away. (I could always refer them to the "tattle jar" if it need be.) They were also free to put tattles into the jar at anytime unless I was giving instructions, then it had to wait. I also made it very clear that I would be the only one to read them and no one else had permission to touch anything inside the jar....DEPOSIT ONLY! (Security factor is very important!) Unless there was an issue that needed addressed, tattles were never read or discussed in class.
This worked like a gem! The first couple of weeks the kids were like Mexican jumping beans and waiting in line to drop a tattle. In fact, there were days I had to read and empty the jar after school, it was too full to wait until Friday to read. After the newness wore off and the kids were actually able to SEE how many tattles were being dropped in the jar, the number of tattles dramatically decreased and eventually stopped and the ones I was being told were the ones that really needed addressed. Mission accomplished!
End of second week of summer break, my little darlin's were running to me every two minutes with he did this and she did that and....AAAAAKKKKKKK!!! STOP! (Think....think....what can I do?.....AH HA!! TATTLE JAR!) Sure enough, it worked like a charm once again!
First day out that sucker was filled within three hours. Monster man even had a couple in there! Right now, the jar sits empty with paper and pen collecting dust. I had a few trickle in last week, but the volume has diminished and the kids have realized that the effort involved isn't worth it (at least I hope). I have reminded them a time or two, when they come to me with the occasional she did this or he did that, the "proper way" to handle tattles unless someone is bleeding, but for the most part it deters the tattling!
I feel the need to share those "tattles" because, quite honestly, they make me smile when I read them! It truly captures the innocence of childhood, I wish these were the only problems I had to deal with....
(Please note, these are actual spellings.)
A= oldest child
B= middle child
H= monster man
Tattles from oldest child (11):
H kicked me in the arm.
H won't get out of our room after you told him to get out.
Shanook (alaskan malamute) barked at me. (she has my sense of humor)
We asked H to stop making his phteradactal toy make noise but he won't.
H won't quit making his bird squak.
H called me a little liar.
H includes himself in everyone's buisness. It's annoying. (my favorite)
H stole a thing of change from me last year.
H is trying to get us to play the DS after you told us not to.
Tattles from middle child (10 in two weeks, can't spell worth a hooey):
H blocked the stairs and made me hit my elbow.
H pocked me in the eye with a card.
H took a tiny grape said"you can't have it." ate it and ran off. (ROFL)
I was talking and H know it and he made his dinsor go off.
H played electronics.
H lied.
Starting to see a pattern?
Tattles from Monster Man (6):
A lied.
A my stupid. (translation...A called me stupid.)
A tutid in my face. (translation...A tooted in my face. I found out later that middle child spelled "tutid" for him. :)
I hope this helps some other mom whose ears are burning and hair is turning gray and nerves are shot from filtering all those tattles! Oh, one more thing...make sure you label it "TATTLE JAR", decorate it with kids help, and place it where all can reach (and SEE). It's always fun to hear the kids explain to family members and friends what the tattle jar is all about!
Tuesday, June 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
"Stole a thing of change from me last year" ROFLMAO!
Love the "ate it and ran off" I can even see the grin in that act! LOL.
I'm sure if I had a tattle jar, it would be chock full of T did this and T did that! No doubt. Your monster man and my monster man should join forces against their sisters...though I think we'd need to leave them in a padded room in someone ELSE's house!
Still chuckling, that was great!
OMG I'm rollin' that's funny. I think I will need to do that here...I was thinking about giving them on jar for tattling and one for thanking...maybe to help get them thinking about acknowledging when each other is being nice...I've never been good at these things...but here's hoping! Thanks for the great idea...and the laugh...you gonna keep those for when they are older??
tutid in my face, teehee!
Post a Comment